The North-West Europe (NWE) programme is one of the two Interreg B programmes in which Switzerland participates. The aim of this programme is to strengthen the transnational cooperation in the North-West Europe region. The federal government encourages Swiss institutions to participate in this programme. The project partners can benefit from the exchange of experience in a wide network, build professional partnerships and develop solutions for their own region and branch of industry.
In addition to the entire Swiss territory, «North-West Europe» comprises Belgium, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and large parts of Germany and France. A Joint Secretariat (JS), based in Lille, ensures the operational running of the programme.
Thematic priorities of programme period VI (2021–2027)
- Smart climate and environmental resilience for NWE territories
- Smart and just energy transition
- Transition towards a place-based circular economy
- Improving territorial resilience in NWE through innovative and smart transformation
- Inclusive NWE
Participation in Interreg projects
Participation in Interreg projects is open to institutions of all kinds: Local authorities, cantonal and federal agencies, research institutes (ETH, universities, universities of applied sciences), associations, etc.
Regular calls for projects are planned during the programme period VI (2021–2027). They take place on the website of the programme.
Project ideas as well as the participation procedure can be discussed directly with the responsible person (ARE).
Further information on former projects with Swiss participation can be found in the NRP-project database of regiosuisse.
Which projects qualify for financial support from the Swiss Confederation?
- Switzerland participates in this programme in the framework of the New Regional Policy (NRP). Projects are granted financial support if they contribute to the consolidation of competitiveness, create added value in the regions or have a national strategic importance.
- The financing in the framework of the NRP cannot exceed the one provided by cantons and municipalities. Third party funding is possible.
- It is also possible to participate in the programme without receiving financial support from the NRP.