Approximately 30 federal agencies that formulate policies and undertake activities relevant to sustainable development sit on the ISDC. The main aims of the Committee are the development and harmonization of Confederation policy as it relates to sustainable development, together with the coordination of its activities in this area. Under the leadership of the ARE, the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH), Federal Office for Agriculture (FOAG), Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN) and the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) together make up the ISDC leadership body.
- Coordination of Confederation policy as it relates to sustainable development
- Interdepartmental and interagency coordination of Confederation activities which are of significance to sustainable development
- Joint development of strategies and action plans for Switzerland's implementation of Agenda 21
- Coordination of the stance taken by Switzerland in international processes, and reporting to international bodies such as the United Nations
- Fostering relationships within the federal administration as well as with the private sector and civil society