The aim of this programme is to strengthen the Alpine region through transnational cooperation. The federal government encourages Swiss institutions to participate in this programme. Project partners can benefit from the exchange of experience in a wide network, build professional partnerships and develop solutions for their own region and branch of industry.
In addition to the entire Swiss territory, the Alpine Space comprises Austria, Liechtenstein, Slovenia and parts of Germany, France and Italy. A Joint Secretariat (JS), based in Salzburg, ensures the operational running of the programme.
Thematic priorities of programme period VI (2021–2027)
- Climate resilient and green Alpine region
- Carbon neutral & resource sensitive Alpine region
- Innovation and digitalisation supporting a green Alpine region
- Cooperatively managed and developed Alpine region
Participation in Interreg projects
Participation in Interreg projects is open to institutions of all kinds: Local authorities, cantonal and federal agencies, research institutes (ETH, universities, universities of applied sciences), associations, etc. Swiss partners may take the administrative lead in these projects.
Regular calls for projects are planned during the programme period VI (2021-2027). They take place on the website of the programme.
Project ideas and the participation procedure can be discussed directly with the responsible contact person (ARE).
Further information on former projects with Swiss participation can be found in the NRP project database of regiosuisse.
Which projects qualify for financial support from the Swiss Confederation?
- Switzerland participates in this programme in the framework of the New Regional Policy (NRP). Projects are granted financial support if they contribute to the consolidation of competitiveness or create added value in the regions or if they are of national strategic importance.
- The financing in the framework of the NRP cannot exceed the one provided by cantons and municipalities. Third party funding is possible.
- It is also possible to participate in the programme without receiving financial support from the NRP.